Remove silver plating

I have a copper bowl that was silver plated. It appears the bowl was in a fire and that most of the silver was removed leaving just a small section around the inside of the bowl lightly plated. I've cleaned most of it up the best I can with home cleaning products. How can I remove the rest of the silver?

Jan Davis
- Worthington, Ohio

2006

Hi Jan,

Have you tried polishing your piece with a 4" buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] compound? If not, you can find them at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware and/or TrueValue centers.

I believe you'll need to use the wheel with an AC drill (Not battery powered cordless) and should make sure you have the right wheel and compound polish for soft metals. I would definitely ask for assistance--I just finished my research and will be making my purchase today.

Good luck and have FUN! : )

Jenn

Jennifer White
- Higganum, Connecticut USA