Aging bronze and coloring copper without paints

I am looking for two formulas:

1. To age highly polished bronze figurines.

2. To convert the color of copper from its natural color (ie.copper) to a dull silvery ashen gray color (i.e., like an elephant hide color).

Since high flown fancy technologies are not available where I live in northern India, if some form of simple chemical wipe for both these issues is possible, I would be most grateful for your advice - these are required to re-work some Japanese copper/brass antique elephants that have been rescued from under layers of a dirty brown paint. Your earliest response is solicited please.

Raninder S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Patiala, Punjab, India

Hello Raninder,

Just below the topic heading 6a:Hobbyists,... you will see FAQs: click "patinas". This will get you started. I'd suggest purchasing a book. The two main chemicals you will need are Liver of Sulphur [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and ferric nitrate. If you can't get these locally, I've read some bizarre techniques like burying the bronze with urine and so on.

Good luck,

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad