#302SS Chemical Analysis

Dear Sir,

I am looking for chemical analysis of #302SS steel. It is impossible to find this information in my country.

Igor Borisov
- Ashgabat, Turkmenistan

Hello Igor!

I would interpret #302SS as 302 stainless steel, a designation that comes from the American Iron and Steel Institute. Once you know that, there are several sources of information to tell you more.

The material is purchased by specification. Several US military specifications, although cancelled, are available free from the web and will show the required chemical analysis. Among these are Mil-S-5059, and QQ-S-763. Go to astimage.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/ and type in the above to get these documents in pdf form, and either of these specifications will note the chemical composition, as well as the required mechanical properties, of the stainless steels listed.

The Nickel Development Institute, offers a LOT of technical information for free (I love that price!) and has a search function in their technical literature page. I would particularly recommend their publication number 9014, which is a 52 page guide titled "Design Guidelines for the Selection and Use of Stainless Steels". This publication details the difference between say, 302 and 304, and gives information on how to best use the various grades.

Other information sources include the manufacturers of the stainless steels.

Carpenter Technology Corp
Avesta
Allegheny Ludlum
Atlas Steels
ThyssenKrupp

I hope this helps, and good luck!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

----
Ed. note 5/23/13: Make that quicksearch.dla.mil/