Platinum vs. Palladium for jewelry

jewelry banner  red sky plating banner

As far as price and quality is concerned, what is the difference between Platinum and Palladium. I bought something that thought was platinum, but after seeing a jeweler, I come to find out it was palladium. Now I do not know whether I should be upset or not. Please some body tell me the difference between Palladium and Platinum.

Tee Slimm
music - Houston, TS, USA

Platinum an palladium are both elemental precious metals and market values are about $490.00 per troy oz. for platinum and $460.00 for palladium but platinum is much heavier than palladium.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico
red sky banner ad

I don't think that a jeweler could tell the difference right off the bat between them. It would be highly unlikely to have a piece made out of palladium - it is a very malleable (easily formed and worked) metal, and frankly, I don't see any reason why someone would use it. There are some methods to spot test for platinum or palladium - they react differently, but other than taking a weight vs mass calculation, it would take some type of very expensive analytical tool to tell the difference.

I'd take it to another place - or find a refiner in town - there are about 10 or so in Alb. Have them give you an estimate or worth - and you might get a free analysis to boot. If you tell them its platinum, and its not, believe me, they will let you know it - fast!

tom baker
Tom Baker
   wastewater treatment specialist
Warminster, Pennsylvania