Temperature sensitive coating

I am a student industrial design trying to develop a coffee cup which changes color with the change of coffee temperature. What kind of temperature sensitive coating can I use for the cup?

Jasper Stam
Technical University - Eindhoven, Holland

There are two ways to do this. The first is to use "Photo-chromic" Pigments as part of the finish on the coffee cup. The second is to use encapsulated thermally-sensitive liquid crystals. These can be macro- or micro-encapsulated. Do a search for the pigments, you should be able to find more information on the web.

P.S. I want one of those coffee mugs when you're done, it's a great idea. 20 ounce or 500ml capacity works best for me.

Bob Zonis
- Bohemia, NY