How can I paint polyethylene?

Q. How can I paint polyethylene?

Carlos Lara
- Mexico

Working with Polyethylene

A. Carlos,

To answer your question ... and all you asked was 'how do I paint Polyethylene' ... the reply is easy. Go ahead and paint!

Maybe what you meant but didn't say is HOW does one get a bond. Ah. The answer is simple. You don't.

Had you given more data, maybe I could have helped you. For instance, had you a round PE tank, then use a latex paint all over (latex being somewhat flexible) so that entire tank is painted and the paint will, so-to-speak, bond to itself, but not (very well) to the PE.

If it's a flat surface the paint would eventually come off.

A. I find the response to our Mexican friend's query about painting polyethylene to be rather "smart Alec-y". The helpful response, I believe, would be to advise him to use house exterior acrylic, which is more flexible, and will expand and contract without cracking.

For a technical bulletin on this subject, go to www.polyprocessing.com/pdf/technical/PaintingPEStorageTanks.pdf

Thanks,however for providing us with this forum on refinishing topics.

Sincerely,

Steve Currie
- Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Polyethylene

sidebar

Hi Steve. Freeman is not a smart alec, but a kind spirit who has helped countless inquirers on hundreds of different threads here. But we all have our individual styles which don't always come across perfectly from viewing a single posting. Thanks for the info and the link.