Information on lightning conductors

Q. I am a sixth year student at Westhill Academy, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. As part of my Advanced Higher Physics course I have been asked to do a short talk on lightning conductors. For this talk I am looking for information about the electrostatics involved and how the lightning conductors work. I would be very grateful if you could send me some sort of information which you feel would be of use to me.

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.

Katie Forbes
- Kemnay, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

A. A simple system over here in the UK consists of a air termination network normally aluminium tapes fitted to a 20m by 10m grid matrix along the ridge, eaves and gable ends, held in place by slate hold-fasts on top of the tiles. Then a down tape to earth is fitted ever 20m to include the corners of the structure. Then at the base of each down conductor a earth electrode is installed into the ground normally to a depth of 2.4m but this depends on what resistance to earth is required, over in this country the complete system has to be less than 10 ohms. The system can consist of copper or aluminium conductors but copper tape has to be laid in the ground. Hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Mick(lightning conductor engineer)

Mick Brealey
- UK

thumbs up signThank you so much for this ...I was searching it from many days but now I got this Thank you so much....God bless you.

Kubra Khan
Student - Hassan ,Karnataka,India