Wear test

I'm doing a project on hard chrome plating on steel, and I've done experiments on various samples. I've also done the thickness and hardness tests.

What I'd like to know is, how would you do the wear test? Are there any particular test equipment for my samples with size of banana/cucumber (only small objects they are).

Also, I'm wondering if there are other tests for hard chrome plating on steel, other than thickness, hardness and wear tests; because what I want to achieve is some sort of formulae or pattern from the test results for the best hard chrome plating.

Thank you very much for the great help.

Budiarjo Tan
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

(2001)

My first response is to guide you toward Taber Abrasion testing. There are several aerospace applications which require test samples to ensure process controls. The samples are generally 4"x4"x.060". I will leave it to you to correlate the data.

Ira Donovan, M.S.F.
Kansas City, Missouri

(2001)

The wear testing is done with a Taber abrasor; try that search term on the web. An additional test you might want to try is the Ollard adhesion test.