-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
Serious Education & the most FUN
you can have in metal finishing smiley

No popups, spam, registration or passwords
on this site
current topics
topic 10478

Brush pattern on aluminum


How do the hot rod buliders get that cresent brush pattern on aluminum instrument panels? The patten looks almost jewel like when the sun hits it. Realizing of course that they use a mill or fixture to index the pattern. What material/tool do they use to get that little cresent shape?

Ron Smith
- Los Angeles, California


The pattern you describe is called a "machine turned surface". It is usually applied with a machine equipped with an abrasive brush or something similar. The abrasive head is indexed to provide a precise pattern. A similar effect is possible using a brush mounted in a drill press, and moved manually. A satisfactory finish depends on how well one locates each move. Experiment on some scrap metal first....

George Brackett III
- Utica, New York

If you have a question in mind which seems off topic, please Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.