Cost of Electroplating Nickel on Aluminum

I am trying to determine the cost of using electrolysis Ni on the inside diameter of an Aluminum cylinder with a 5" diamter and 6" length. I am making a piston pump that will simulate breathing a very low duty cycle (wear is negligible) at low pressure and room temperature. Also, this will be a dry operation, so no lube. I am trying to determine what finish is a good finish for the inside of the bore for my pump. One other concern is that there is a possibility that the pump air could come into contact with an user, so I don't want dust and that is why we are trying a dry pump, not lubed. Please assume that the piston seals and piston are fine and are designed to work with the bore material selected.

THANKS!

Michael Homer
- Concord, California

I believe you may be referring to electroless nickel. The best thing would be to send the parts or a print to local plater that performs this plating, and get a quote. Ask for 0.0003- 0.0005 inches of Ni phosphorus (mid phosphorus) electroless nickel.

tom pullizzi monitor
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township,
   Pennsylvania