Need HELP on chrome plating system start-up

(2001)

I am interested in constructing a small Trivalent or Hexavalent system to plate Aluminum and various cast alloy wheels. Where would you say to start after permits are issued and business now needs the physical tanks. Are there books or literature on how to build a chrome system to suit my needs?

Thanks for your considered response to my inevitable short goal commitment.

Larry S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- San Diego, California, USA

(2001)

OK, I am a wet blanket. If you do not know what tanks you need, you have not done a proper business plan.

With the water quality and air quality requirements of the area that you are in, I would not consider starting a chrome shop.

If you still are going to, get a copy of the Electroplating Engineering Handbook edited by L. Durney and the links available from the home page.

Do not forget the fume scrubber, waste treatment and disposal costs, hazardous waste training, DOT required training and can you buy and run a laboratory?

(2001)

You have stated that you would like to construct a small chrome line for plating cast aluminum wheels. Assuming this will be a decorative process, you will probably need to have a copper, nickel and chrome plating line. There are several resources to aid you in developing your plating line. Literature can be purchased from NASF.org and ASM International. Chemical suppliers can also recommend the necessary equipment to conform to their specific chemistries. The other resource is a consultant or engineering firm that is experienced in plating facility design and build. I hope this gives you a little direction.

Ira Donovan, M.S.F.
Kansas City, Missouri