23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Anodizing Removal

I am trying to remove anodizing from an aluminum gun part. It appeared to be painted. As I removed the paint, I discovered a black anodized aluminum lower receiver of my Benelli shotgun. My hopes are to strip it of color and bead blast it for a natural aluminum, yet dull, non-glare finish.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Kyle Dean
- Dallas, Texas

Anodizing can be removed with sodium hydroxide (lye, Draino). Obviously it is dangerous to use powerful caustic materials like this for purposes for which they were not intended especially if you have not had safety training and are not using the correct PPE. Furthermore, the sodium hydroxide will attack the aluminum as well as the anodized coating, so if you have no experience you may destroy your part. Better to take it to a plating and anodizing shop.

Thanks Mr. Mooney. I think I'll take your advice by bringing it to a professional. It happens this is a favorite shotgun of mine. Thanks for your rapid response!

Kyle Dean
- Nederland, Texas