Looking for a way to plate some copper components used in amateur radio

I am looking for a way to plate some copper components used in amateur radio. I bought a kit to do it with, but after $100 spent, I am no better off. The quantities were too small to do what I need. I also have heard about the photo-fixer method but now am leery of trying it. Is there anyone that sells a solution of about a quart of silver solution for a reasonable price? I still have the electrodes and power supply, so I won't need those. These parts are for a radio system that is used for emergency communications, and is being put together by myself and another ham so we are on a tight budget, as we don't make any money for doing this. It's just considered a community service.

Ronald L. Peterson
- Milwaukie, OR, U.S.A.

There are several manufacturers of brush plating chemicals and equipment listed in our directory of Jobshops. You didn't mention why the parts have to be plated, Ronald, or why you feel silver is the best metal to plate them with.

Both copper and silver are powerful biocides and we usually don't think it's a good idea to encourage an individual to use toxic chemicals. Most practical silver plating solutions are cyanide-based, and we don't like to encourage people to keep in their home or garage one of the fastest acting and most powerful poisons known.

If this is a public service project, why not ask a local plating shop to help? They can be civic-minded too.