Anionic Surfactents

I am currently trying to find a way to reduce anionic sufactents in waste water. I need to find a way to do this only using primary treatment. Any ideas?

Wendy Lepper
- Burnaby, B.C., Canada

I'm not clear whether you want to limit their effects or you actually need to remove them. Silicone defoamers are very efficient at stopping the foaming that is caused by surfactants, but they don't actually remove them.

I would introduce enough soil (grease, oil, etc) to tie up all the surfactant. Then I would run the solution through a waste treatment system that would remove the soils (this would remove the soils and the surfactants attached to them). The end result should be clean water.

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois

Ok maybe I need to clarify my question a little bit. I am a student doing a research project on the toxicity that is caused by anionic detergents at a local wastewater treatment plant. The main problem at this plant is that it only has primary treatment and the anionic detergent isn't breaking down before it is leaving the plant.

Does anybody know of any cases where this was a problem and it was fixed with out adding in secondary treatment?

Wendy Lepper
- Burnaby, B.C., Canada