PITTING CORROSION ON COPPER AND CHROME PLATED COPPER

I'm a student of Metallurgical Engineering in University of Indonesia. I'm currently working on a research about pitting corrosion in copper used as pipes in heat exchangers with seawater cooling medium. I'm using CMS100 Software according to ASTM about cyclic polarization.

The strange thing is that copper shows no pitting (passive) in room temperature and in 80 °C even though there are pitting clearly shown in the materials. Why did this happen? I also measured the pitting corrosion of chrome plated copper. Is it true that chrome plated copper have a higher pitting potential (more passive) than copper.

Can anyone help me and if you can please send references where I could find information. Thank you.

Aditia Hermawan
- Jakarta, DKI Jakarta, Indonesia