Steel, rust and electrolytic zinc plate

I'm experimenting with rust treatments on small painted steel objects and would like your views on the possibility of using electrolysis to both restore the steel surface and deposit zinc for protection. I should point out I'm not under the illusion this would be a miracle way of turning rust back into iron, there I hope I don't look too much like a fool. The web is full of accounts of rust treatment, all using caustic soda which I fear will attack the paint.

Richard Jones
- Cheshire, England

Zinc Plating
by Geduld

Yes I have also been reading about Electrolytic de-rusting. The non toxic approach which seems to work really well, is using common household washing soda [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] mixed with water. You mentioned that you wanted to electroplate the steel with zinc? If you have tried this method, please share your experiences, I would appreciate it. In the mean time, I will keep looking for information on this technique, and post back here if I don't hear from you.

Thanks, Alex aka(Thunderbucket)

Alex Murray
- Mission, British Columbia, Canada