Is Polyurethane Paint Safe?

Q. Is it safe to use Poly Urethane paint as it contains (isocyanates) TDI/MDI. Is there no better product to match this? In case its use is evident, what are practical HSE measures are normally employed?

Dines Bhunia
- Abu Dhabi, UAE

A. Hi Dines,

I guess that ALL paints contain ingredients that are not too palatable! Surely you have instructions on the cans?

If it is the inexpensive Pu paint with l0% monomer/polymer masquerading as Polyurethane paint that you can buy in the ordinary paint stores, you've got nothing to worry about.

If it is the TRUE Pu 2-component paint, ah, I used that when Monsanto first came out with it in l964-ish. Superlative, expensive, magnificent hard glossy finish. And I'm still alive and kicking, as they say.

BEWARE of one thing! If you paint a wooden door with it, for example, it will warp .... unless you paint the back of the door, too. High shrinkage factor common to all two component adhesives/polyesters/epoxies, etc.

(2006)

Q. WE ARE PUTTING DOWN 6 INCH BY 3/4 INCH RED PINE FLOORING IN THE KITCHEN, THE KITCHEN EATING AREA AND THE FRONT ROOM OF OUR HOME

THIS IN NEW WOOD AND AFTER SANDING WE WANT TO FINISH IT WITH A GOOD DURABLE URETHANE THAT WILL ALLOW THE WOOD TO TURN TO IT'S NATURAL color OVER TIME.

THERE ARE 2 ADULTS AND 5 CHILDREN IN THE HOME AND THE HOME IS LOCATED IN THE COUNTRY

PLEASE ADVISE

THANK YOU

EARL WILSON
N/A - PETERBOROUGH, ONTARIO, CANADA

(2007)

I would like to paint my fibre glass truck topper to match my truck. Would poly urethane be a good choice and if so, what type of primer would you recommend? Thank you!

Guy Richard Woods
Owner, Painting contractor - Cochrane, Alberta, Canada