23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Leadloy Toxicity?

Have there been any studies relating to lead poisoning and machining leadloy in a unventilated workspace?

Sid Block
- Wynnewood, Pennsylvania

Sid,

I'd try the internet for lead suppliers who, I'm sure, would give you the right info.

I'd guess that there is essentially no toxicity from lead dust(which is ultra heavy) UNLESS you breathe it in.

If it is just a lathe operation, probably no problem. If it is grinding (you didn't spell this out), then as with most materials, 'tis probably safer to use ventilation at source, if possible...failing that, to use a mask.

Cheers !