-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing

on this site
current topics
topic 0 571

What is a "Chill Mark"?


Dear sirs,

Could anyone explain to me what is a "Chill mark" ?

Best Regards,

Ricks Lam
- Hong Kong


Don't know what material you're dealing with, but chill marks are usually where two metal fronts meet and do not re-fuse completely.

Greg Utterback
light metal products


Dear Rick, We encounter "chill marks" in die castings or tin/lead castings from rubber molds. It is when the metal is cast too cold and doesn't flow properly leaving usually a cylindrical mark with an almost rough surface. David

David Guleserian
- Rhode Island

January 3, 2009

Hi, gentlemen. From Greg and David's description, this sounds like what diecasters often call a "cold shut".


Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.