Seeking info for deep etching stainless steel

A discussion started in 1996 and continuing through 2008.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

(1996)

I have been looking and asking about what chemical(s) are used to deep etch stainless steel. It seems that the sign industry uses something but I have been unable to get anyone to either provide a supplier of the chemicals or what the chemicals are. I would greatly appreciate any information on chemical etching of stainless steel.I am trying to make a small 1/8"t x 12" x 8" sign using a precut vinyl or sandblast resist. The lettering is weeded (removed) and the vinyl is used as a resist. It seems that something like Hydrochloric acid would work, but am not sure.Thank you in advance

Enrique Vega
ArtMetal
(2004)

Sir, I would like to know the chemical composition and method for deep etching of stainless steel plates. thanks you very much for your answer

krishna kumar
- Dubai, UAE

Hi,, folks. letters 15151, 12455, 10882, and 7775 talk about the formulations in pretty good detail. letter 1273 does also, but it talks about some other things too :-)