Wash primer on top of iron phosphate

A discussion started in 1995 and continuing through 1999.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

(1995)

Maybe the web readers can help. I am looking for research, opinions or ANY documentation on the use of organic pretreatment (wash primers) over iron phosphate. I have heard that there is a potential detrimental effect. Thanks.

Dave Wright
- Mequon, Wisconsin

Industrial Painting and Powdercoating: Principles and Practices

(1999)

Hello, Dave.

My recollection is to the effect that the wash primer depends on a reaction with the base metal in order to function properly--something I think I read in the 'Coating Clinic' column in "Products Finishing" magazine; but I have no real firsthand knowledge of this.

Such Q&A columns tend to not be well-indexed in the databases for computerized literature searches, and I couldn't find it with the Metal Finishing Information Service CD-ROM, but a manual search should find it. If you have an associate in my area s/he is welcome to spend a couple of hours thumbing through my copies if you don't have a closer source of back issues. But another solution might be to try to contact the column's author, Carl Izzo, a consultant who I believe lives in Export, Pennsylvania. Best of luck.

P.S. to the readers: Dave has written a great series of articles on pretreatment. Please see "The Pretreatment Troubleshooter"