-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Disposal of liver of sulphur

Please tell me how to dispose of Liver Of Sulphur [linked by editor to product info at Mister Art] liquid. I used it to tarnish silver and don't know if it is environmentally bad.

Linda Francis
- Providence, Rhode Island

I know you posted your question some time ago and might have given up on getting an answer. I personally have not scrolled this far down in the topics list in some time.

Anyway, what is commonly called liver of sulfur is frequently a form of sodium tetrasulfide. A hazardous chemical for both transport and disposal. You should contact the manufacturer of the product for environmentally correct disposal information. (no I am not giving you double talk, each manufacturer may have placed an additive in the product if it is sold as liver of sulfur and it may be slightly different than a generic product. Also, the manufacturer is obligated to put disposal information as well as health and safety information into a product Material Safety Data Sheet. These must be available for all industrial chemical products, whether hazardous or non hazardous.)

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search