No Pop-ups! No Spam!
HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum  ltr 9197

Disposal of liver of sulphur

(2001)

Please tell me how to dispose of Liver Of Sulphur [linked by editor to product info at Mister Art] liquid. I used it to tarnish silver and don't know if it is environmentally bad.

Linda Francis
- Providence, Rhode Island

(2001)

I know you posted your question some time ago and might have given up on getting an answer. I personally have not scrolled this far down in the topics list in some time.

Anyway, what is commonly called liver of sulfur is frequently a form of sodium tetrasulfide. A hazardous chemical for both transport and disposal. You should contact the manufacturer of the product for environmentally correct disposal information. (no I am not giving you double talk, each manufacturer may have placed an additive in the product if it is sold as liver of sulfur and it may be slightly different than a generic product. Also, the manufacturer is obligated to put disposal information as well as health and safety information into a product Material Safety Data Sheet. These must be available for all industrial chemical products, whether hazardous or non hazardous.)

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York