ASTM D3359 Standard Test Method for Measuring Adhesion by Tape Test

+

What is the spacing of the cuts required for this ASTM Adhesion Tape Test?

Sonia Lai
- Bloomfield, Connecticut, USA

First of two simultaneous responses -- +

Sonia,

I believe you are referring to Method B within ASTM D3359 [link is to spec at TechStreet]. If so, the spacing between the cuts varies with the dry film thickness of the coating. For coatings with dry film thickness of up to and including 2 mils, the spacing is 1 mm apart, with eleven cuts total (unless there is another agreement). For coatings between 2-5 mils, the spacing is 2 mm and six cuts. For thicker coatings, Method A is recommended (an "X" cut procedure).

Roy Nuss
Trevose, Pennsylvania, USA

Second of two simultaneous responses -- +

Hello Sonia!

>From Paragraph 12.2.1- "For coatings having a dry film thickness up to and including 2.0 mils (50 microns) space the cuts 1 mm apart and make eleven cuts unless otherwise agreed upon."

>From Paragraph 12.2.2- "For coatings having a dry film thickness between 2.0 mils (50 microns) and 5.0 mils (125 microns) space the cuts 2 mm apart and make six cuts. For films thicker than 5.0 mils use Test Method A (X-Cut Tape Test)."

Lee Gearhart
metallurgist
East Aurora, New York

++++++

AFTER FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES FROM ASTM D3359 B, WHAT TYPE OF TAPE DO I NEED TO USE AND HOW MANY RUBS DO I HAVE TO TAKE AND AT WHAT ANGLE DO I NEED TO PULL THE TAPE?

CESAR H. MARISCAL
INSPECTION COMPANY - Shanghai, China