The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

List of Metal Finish Specification numbers

+

Q. I am an architect, and part of my job is specifying different metal finishes in different applications (i.e., door hardware, cabinetry finishes, etc.) The problem that I run into is that there are different metal finish spec. #'s that mean the same thing. Therefore, when I say one number in the spec., sometimes a contractor comes back with a different number, but it is the same finish.

Is there a comprehensive list of metal finish standards that gives the BHMA#, the Fed. Spec.#, and any other standard finish#, along with a description of the type of metal, and finish associated with each anywhere out there?.

Chris Childs
Lockwood Greene - St. Louis, Missouri, USA

++

A. I came across that information by doing a search on the internet. The one I found most helpful is on the Cygnet Stamping & Fabricating, Inc. website. Good luck.

Aysun Scott
- Kansas City, Missouri, USA

++++++

Q. Did you ever find what you were looking for? I am looking for some kind of list that describes a #4 grain finish or a true #8 pertaining to architectural standards.

Debi Gotowka
- Auburn, Washington, USA

++++++

Q. I need to know if there is a standard for visual reference for brush type finishes, i.e., #4 and #8 being the most used by our engineering dept. on blueprints. If so, where can I get a sample or standard for the Inspection dept. to use visually. Also, what spec, if any, would give a good description of this type of finish?

Robert M Smith
ASM America - Phoenix, Arizona, USA

A. I was looking for the same thing and found this:

www.rensup.com/FinishStandardsAndSymbols.html

Anne Scott
- seattle, Washington