Removing paint from brass

+

My wife and I have recently purchased a new home which was built in 1920 and happens to have the original brass hinges and latches on the kitchen cabinets. However, they have all been painted and we would like to bring them back to their original beauty. What would be the process and the solvents or materials needed?

David Crane
- Lansing, Michigan, USA

+

G'day David,

Remove the handles carefully and soak them in paint stripper. You can work the paint stripper in with an old toothbrush. The brass will still need some polishing once the paint is removed.

Bruce Jackson
- NSW, Australia

+

After you've removed the paint, polish them with "Brassoamazoninfo" and rub them with a soft cloth, they will get their original shine back.

Anahita
- San Diego, California

+

To prevent the Brass from re-tarnishing you may want to treat it with a clear finish. I use "Wattel" Incralac. a spray can form of varnish. After the piece is perfectly polished, wash it in warm soapy water and then rinse off in very hot water and polish dry (blow any droplets from holes or crevices). Spray the coats thinly, 2 or 3, while it is warm. I do it in the warm sun as this prevents the dreaded orange peel.

Frank Johnstone
- Brisbane, Australia

Editor's note: Please visit G.J. Nikolas & Co., Inc. for other options.

+++++++

I have an old NCR cash register that was painted (circa 1915). The register is made of brass and has been painted a copper color. How do I remove the paint to restore the original brass without damaging the brass?

Patrick Merriman
hobbyist - Birmingham, Alabama

I have a brass bell from a railroad engine. When the railroad used brass bells they painted the brass bell to keep them from being stolen. I wanted to remove the paint. This bell is very large. We have tried a general paint remover no luck. Please help
Brenda

Brenda Hennig
- Shepherdsville, Kentucky

Hi, Brenda,
Aircraft stripperamazoninfo (methylene chloride) should be able to remove the paint without damage to the bell, but possibly not without damage to your chromosomes :-)

Outdoors only, standing upwind, wearing at least gogglesamazoninfo and chemical protective glovesamazoninfo, if not boots and apron.