Acid Copper Plating brightener / additives

RFQ: WE ARE ONE OF LEADING ELECTROPLATING CHEMICALS MANUFACTURER COMPANY IN PAKISTAN. WE WANT TO IMPORT ADDITIVES OF ACID COPPER ELECTROPLATING CHEMICALS AND THE FORMULATION AND FUNCTIONING OF GOLD ELECTROPLATING PLANT.

UMER FAROOQ
- LAHORE, PAKISTAN
outdated

+

I need to know what kind of organic additives (brightener) I should add to a copper electroplating bath, Using CuSO4.5H2O, HCl and Sulphuric Acid. Well it should use the Lea Ronal copper Gleam PCM+ though, but since I live in small city where is impossible to get that additive.

So my question: Is it possible to replace that additive using other chemical?

Toxadhie Riza
- Malang, Jatim, Indonesia

+

A. Hello, Toxadhie.

According to Jack Dini in "Electrodeposition: The Material Science of Coatings and Substrates" =>
common brighteners for acid copper in the old days included "glue, dextrose, phenolsulfonic acid, molasses and thiorea".

Dini goes on to requote Reid from 'An HPLC Study of Acid Coper Brightener Properties' as follows: "Carriers are typically polyalkylene glycol type polymers with a molecular weight around 2000, levelers are typically alkane surfactants containing sulfonic acid and amine or amide functionalities, and brighteners are typically propane sulfonic acids which are derivatized with surface active groups containing pendant sulfur atoms".

The vendor obviously expended years of expensive research effort to get from the above-described general idea to their specific formulation, and if you don't or can't license their process, you are limited to working with the generic materials and settling for a less satisfactory result, or expending significant expense yourself in duplicating the R&D efforts of the process supplier. Best of luck, cousin Toxadhie.

Electrodeposition -- The Materials Science of Coatings and Substrates

++

Q. Dear Ted,

My boss asked me to do some research into this area. Would you please give me a list of reference articles regarding the organic additives used in acid copper plating, their functions and major mechanisms of enhancing plating quality?

Many thanks,

Haifeng Zhang
- Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA

++

A. Hi, Haifeng. You can contact Metal Finishing Information Services in Birmingham, England about getting a copy of their MFIS CD-ROM, or online access to their database. It isn't legal for me to use my copy of it to do a lit search for you, but one promising article looks to be: "Acid Copper Sulphate Plating I. Simple Addition Agent Control" by Mohler J B; Metal Finishing magazine, June 1987, pp 121-122. Good luck!

P.S.: You, and anyone, are welcome to visit the Joseph Mazia Memorial Research Library, located in the finishing.com offices, to manually search through books and decades of plating journals.