-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

What material will block magnetic force

Q. Hi.

I'm currently working on a project that requires that I shield one magnet from the other. I'm looking for a material that will not be attracted to the magnets, but will stop all lines of force. Is there such a material out there? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Tramble
- Canada

A. I could also be totally wrong, but I think a conductor will at least partially block magnetism. I have heard of copper screen being used to enclose sensitive radio experiments. I would guess maybe the magnetism is converted to current in the conductor (?)

Adam Weston
- Northridge, California, United States

A. While you can sap away magnetic flux with metals (which will be attracted to the magnets), my understanding is (and I could be totally wrong) is that there is no non-conductor that can act as a magnetism insulator, i.e., that no insulator you can put there will improve on a vacuum.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

! Ted, in my experience vacuum does not block magnetic field. And that makes sense because earth's magnetic field spreads in space and we are affected by terrestrial mag. fields. Most metals and conductive materials do not block it. However, iron is one that attenuates it considerably and may be some ferrites. There are companies that are specialized in such materials. I can't think of a name but web-search will help.

Also, a magnetic field does not generate current in conductors unless it is rapidly fluctuating near the conductor (electromagnetism).

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

thumbsup2Thanks, Mandar; I realize that magnetic fields easily traverse a vacuum, but I think they easily traverse anything else just as well.

What I am saying is that it is my understanding that although you can block electricity with rubber, and you can block x-rays with lead, and you can block light rays with an opaque sheet, nothing will block gravity and I don't think anything will block magnetism.

I was only suggesting that my understanding is that magnetism is like gravity in this way, there being no material you can put there that won't transmit magnetic forces as well or better than the vacuum did. Iron and some other materials can certainly absorb the magnetism; but I don't think it's possible to actually block magnetic forces with a non-conductor in the sense that you can use lead to block x-rays. But this is not a subject that I have studied, and I could be wrong :-(

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

Q. Sir,

I'd like to know Is there any chemical compound which restrict the Magnetic path without spoiling the Magnetic Force?

Thanking you

Yours Truly

A.Syed Abith

Syed Abith
engineering -Chennai, Tamil Nadu, INDIA

Q. I am currently looking for the same thing. I have been told that nickel might have the same properties of what we are looking for. I have yet to test this though. Also it might be a nickel alloy I am curious as far as what you are needing this for though.

Joshua Gleason
- Tucson, Arizona

Q. I want to make magnetic material non magnetic by applying some type of coating; is it possible?

Yogesh Shinde
Mechanical engineer - India

A. Hi, Yogesh. To my knowledge there is no such thing. Maybe you should consider making the item from a non-magnetic stainless steel?

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

Q. Hello
I am ignorant of all things magnetic, but was just wondering if there is such a thing as magnetic thread which could be sewn into a fabric, and which would be pliable enough to bend?

Sandy Wilson
- Cooran, Queensland, Australia

A. Hi, Sandy.

I think that one is no problem. A thin low carbon steel wire would be magnetic and could be quite soft and pliable.

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

October 11, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am trying to block the magnetic field on the horizontal sides and only keep the vertical side.
Example: the north side of the vertical part of a square magnet would be North. The horizontal would be south on one side and north on the other. I want to block the horizontal sides and only allow the vertical north to pass through the opening. Can this be done?

Stephen Ainsworth
Hobbyist - Whitby, Ontario Canada

Q. What material is best for shielding a magnet? How can I block a magnetic field?

Kumar Shrestha
electronics - Hong Kong

A. I am not sure, but an electric field can stop or shield the magnetic field or magnetic lines ... similarly as we know that passing current discharges the magnet, means it has the capacity to stop the flow of magnetic lines or it can block it ... (I'm not sure about this; sorry)

Dibyendu biswas
- chennai,tamilnadu,india

Q. Is anything available in this world which will stop magnetic field from passing through it.

Ajeet Kumar
- Agra, UttarPradesh, India

Is there a durable and bouncy magnetic material out there?

Q. Hello world, I was wondering was there any magnetic material out there that is susceptible to all temperatures and also durable? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Louis Truscott
- Scottsbluff, Nebraska USA

A. Hi Louis. In what way are refrigerator tape magnets an unsatisfactory solution to your needs?

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

! Basically most of the questions here could be summarised by the question "Can I make a laser magnet?". A magnet whose attractive force or repellant force is concentrated into a narrow beam with no seepage in any other direction.

If you could do this then you could build an engine that could generate limitless electricity and solve the world's energy needs. The material you are searching for does not exist currently if it did the implications would be more dramatic than discovering atomic power.

john Mcintyre
Product designer - Hackney london

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search