What material will block magnetic force

+

Q. Hi.

I'm currently working on a project that requires that I shield one magnet from the other. I'm looking for a material that will not be attracted to the magnets, but will stop all lines of force. Is there such a material out there? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Tramble
- Canada

+

A. While you can sap away magnetic flux with metals (which will be attracted to the magnets), my understanding is (and I could be totally wrong) that there is no such thing as a magnetism insulator--that nothing you can put there will improve on a vacuum.

+

A. I could also be totally wrong, but I think a conductor will at least partially block magnetism. I have heard of copper screen being used to enclose sensitive radio experiments. I would guess maybe the magnetism is converted to current in the conductor (?)

Adam Weston
- Northridge, California, United States

+

A. Ted, in my experience vacuum does not block magnetic field. And that makes sense because earth's magnetic field spreads in space and we are affected by terrestrial mag. fields. Most metals and conductive materials do not block it. However, iron is one that attenuates it considerably and may be some ferrites. There are companies that are specialized in such materials. I can't think of a name but web-search will help.

Also, a magnetic field does not generate current in conductors unless it is rapidly fluctuating near the conductor (electromagnetism).

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

+

A. Thanks, Mandar; I realize that magnetic fields easily traverse a vacuum.

What I am saying is that it is my understanding that although you can block electricity with rubber, block x-rays with lead, and block light rays with an opaque sheet, nothing will block gravity.

I was only suggesting that my understanding is that magnetism is like gravity, there being no material you can put there that won't transmit magnetic forces as well or better than the vacuum did. Iron and some other materials can certainly absorb the magnetism; but I don't think it's possible to actually block magnetic forces in the sense that you can use lead to block x-rays. But this is not a subject that I have studied, and I could be completely wrong :-(

++++

Q. Sir,

I'd like to know Is there any chemical compound which restrict the Magnetic path without spoiling the Magnetic Force

Thanking you

Yours Truly

A.Syed Abith

Syed Abith
engineering -Chennai, Tamil Nadu, INDIA

+++++

Q. I am currently looking for the same thing. I have been told that nickel might have the same properties of what we are looking for. I have yet to test this though. Also it might be a nickel alloy I am curious as far as what you are needing this for though.

Joshua Gleason
- Tucson, Arizona

Q. I want to make magnetic material non magnetic by applying some type of coating; is it possible?

Yogesh Shinde
Mechanical engineer - India

Hi, Yogesh. To my knowledge there is no such thing. Maybe you should consider making the item from a non-magnetic stainless steel?

Q. Hello
I am ignorant of all things magnetic, but was just wondering if there is such a thing as magnetic thread which could be sewn into a fabric, and which would be pliable enough to bend?
Sandy

Sandy Wilson
- Cooran, Queensland, Australia

A. Hi, Sandy.

I think that one is no problem. A thin low carbon steel wire would be magnetic and could be quite soft and pliable.

October 11, 2010appended

Q. I am trying to block the magnetic field on the horizontal sides and only keep the vertical side.
Example: the north side of the vertical part of a square magnet would be North. The horizontal would be south on one side and north on the other. I want to block the horizontal sides and only allow the vertical north to pass through the opening. Can this be done?

Stephen Ainsworth
Hobbyist - Whitby, Ontario Canada

Q. What material is best for shielding a magnet? How can I block a magnetic field?

Kumar Shrestha
electronics - Hong Kong

A. I am not sure, but an electric field can stop or shield the magnetic field or magnetic lines ... similarly as we know that passing current discharges the magnet, means it has the capacity to stop the flow of magnetic lines or it can block it ... (I'm not sure about this; sorry)

Dibyendu biswas
- chennai,tamilnadu,india