The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Pickling of Carbon Steel Pipe Lines

+

I would wish to have the detailed procedure for Pickling and Passivation of Carbon steel Pipe lines. The pipe that are pickled and passivated will be used in in a oil circulating unit

Sampathkumar Iyengar
Iyengar Engineers - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

+++

We are looking forward to pickle a glycol tower with 7 trays. Please can I have the procedures for pickling and passivation.

Abiodun Akinola
- Warri, Delta State, Nigeria

I'm an operations engr. at a fertilizer company in Pakistan and these days I am involved in the pickling and passivation of carbon steel pipelines (will be used for steam service)...till now we have performed degreasing of the pipelines»‚‹I would like to share the procedure which is as follows
1.Air blowing for removing foreign particles
2.Flushing with potable water + leak test
3.Degreasing with Sodium Metasilicate + Tri Sodium Phosphate + Soap
4.Rinsing with demin. water
5.Pickling with 3% Citric Acid + ABF + Rodine 31A
6.Rinsing
7.Passivation with Citric acid + Sodium Nitrite + Sodium Carbonate
8.Final rinsing with slightly alkaline demin. water

Hope you find it helpful
Good Luck Mate!

Salman S. Ramay
- Sadiqabad, Pakistan

Handbook of Corrosion Engineering