Rhodium Plating

Ed. note; This is an interesting thread, and only one of many. Before you get too confused, you might want to start with our FAQ on Rhodium Plating and White Gold to get an overall understanding :-)

+++

What are the typical costs for rhodium dipping for a yellow gold ring? If there are stones, must they be removed prior? Are rhodium dipping costs equal, less or greater than white gold?

Anne Fdeleted
- Lynn, Massachusetts

+++++

It could be $25 - $100 depending on quality, and the stones would not normally be removed. But it is not a good idea to rhodium plate a yellow ring because the contrast is so strong that the wear will be immediately obvious. Only white gold rings should be rhodium plated because the off-white color won't stick out so much.

There is no commercial process of white gold plating a ring. White gold is an alloy to cast the ring out of, not to plate the ring with, and is usually rhodium plated these days.

+

My engagement ring is yellow gold on the bottom half and white gold on the top half. I recently had it Rhodium plated so the ring would be a solid white color. The jewelers informed me that I would need to maintain the plating but would not tell me how often. After reading some of these postings, it seems as if the re-plating should take place every few years. My plating is already wearing off and I can see the yellow gold coming through! It has only been 2 months! I do not do any work with chemicals of any kind. What should I do?

Kelly Pennington
- Monroe, Georgia

+

G'day Kelly,

It makes me wonder how much Rhodium was plated on? Was it just a flash or a decent thickness? Rhodium is expensive.

My advice would be to by-pass the jeweller and go to your friendly electroplater. With precious metal plating the more money you want to part with the more Rhodium they will plate on. Try and find an electroplater who has a device for measuring the thickness of the Rhodium and have them print you out a copy. Or better still ask that they preform the test in front of you.

I assume the plating has worn off on the inside of the band. The rubbing of the ring on your finger will wear the Rhodium off eventually. Also some people tend to corrode jewellery rapidly. I have seen jewellery corroded so much it looked like the surface of the moon. It always occurs where the jewellery comes in contact with the skin.

Richard Bancroft
- Parkdale, Victoria, Australia

+++++++

Hello:
I have a 14k gold diamond engagement ring.
about a week before "my time of the month", my finger and the pinky next to it, turns black. This lasts right until "my time" is over.

I can't stand the sight of this, and sometimes won't wear the ring for one week or more during every month.

My question is this:
Will rhodium plating my ring stop my fingers from turning black?

Teresa B
- Dunellen, New Jersey

+++++++

In response to the young lady who had difficulty with her rings turning her fingers black at various times of the month, it could have to do with the amount of acidity in your system. Invariably, if I take a large amount of vitamin C or drink orange juice, my rings will turn my skin black.

Ashley Davis
- Houston, Texas

++++++

What is the use of rhodium plating on white gold jewelry? Does this plating justifies the price? Does rhodium peels off after years? Thanks..

Ken Loh
Malletier - Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA

++++++

Ken,
Rhodium plated white gold is quite common in the jewelry industry. It gives the jewelry added brilliance and because of the "as plated hardness" gives the jewelry improved wear resistance. Rhodium sulphate is now over $150.00 per gram, so depending on the price increase you are referring to it may be justified. Rhodium does not "peel off" over time, but can wear off gradually. It would depend on the plating thickness and the actual "wear" the jewelry is subjected to. Good Luck!

Process Engineer - Syracuse, New York

+++++++

I have a 14k white gold ring that is beginning to turn yellow gold. I have had the ring re-plated before and it seems to last about a year and then I need to re-plate it again. I was wondering if I have my white gold ring plated with yellow gold this time, will I be done doing this or will the yellow gold plating start reverting back to white gold eventually (the reverse problem)? Is there any way rings can be replated with platinum to avoid this? thanks!

Jenelle Pontrelli
buyer - Chicago, Illinois

Kelly: The amount of time rhodium lasts is is very dependent on body chemistry, hand soaps, hand creams and swimming pool chemicals. I have seen ladies that can wear white gold with no problems for several years then they get pregnant and the rhodium goes bye bye in just a few days.

Dan Fredenburg
- Plano, Texas

+++

Dear sir,

I want to know what actually rhodium is? How much should it cost for plating a ring, jewelers charge heavily which is hurting.

Rani Garg
- Paonta Sahib, Himachal, India

RHODIUM IS A PLATINUM GROUP METAL AND IS WIDELY USED TO PLATE ON WHITE GOLD AND SILVER TO RETAIN MORE SHINING. ON SILVER JEWELLERY IF YOU PLATE RHODIUM IT WILL PREVENT FROM OXIDIZATION FOR LONG TIME. RHODIUM IS AN AN EXPENSIVE METAL. BUT TO PLATE ON A RING IT SHOULD NOT COST MORE THAN RS. 100/- IN INDIA AS IT NEEDS VERY MINUTE QTY OF METAL.

I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY AND SATISFIED.

PUSHPARAJAN NAIR
- India

I understand there are countless variables involved. however, what would a general estimate be for how many rings (standard engagement mountings) could be plated per 1 gram of rhodium?

thanks in advance!

Todd Carter
jeweler - Massachusetts
contact

Assuming your rings are about 1 square inch of surface area and you are plating to about 0.2 micron thickness and you will not be able to plate 100% of the rhodium out of the 1 gram bath you should be able to plate at least 300 rings.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico