Removing stains from bath tubs. Hydrogen Peroxide is the answer for rust stains!

+

Q. I have stained my heavy old-fashioned bath tub by pouring sulphuric acid down the drain to remove a clog; the fumes have made dark brown stripes on the sides and bottom of the white enamel tub. Is it possible to remove these unsightly stains with ordinary javel water bleach? If not, what should I do short? Can anyone help me, please.

David Alexander Mitchell
- Montreal QC, Canada

+++++++

A. Hi
I had Terrible stains in my tub from a professional drain opener made with sulfuric acid. I used the Works ( green bottle and I think that helped little) Then I put on Lysol thick blue toilet cleaner and that worked great!
Also, I had the stains in my kitchen sink from the same drain opener product, and the toilet bowl cleaneramazoninfo worked on those also. I got most of the stains out! You should try it. It may have scratched my tub a little and hurt the finish.. not sure, but the nasty horrible brown stain is gone and that is great. Good luck.
Try it on a small spot in your stained area and see if it works and if it is safe for your tub or sink

Colleen Mcgraw
- Grand Rapids, Michigan

+

A. An oxidation problem has occurred.

Let's de-oxidize ... buy Naval Jellyamazoninfo, A RUST REMOVER. Simply, a de-ox, and will remove those drip-rust-stains...... as well as the chemical stain that you incurred. Drawback; the porcelain may have impurities that were reacted upon by the staining acid. Regardless. Proceed by getting protective glovesamazoninfo & gogglesamazoninfo on now. Use a 1" paint-brush and brush on the Naval Jelly until it is absurd. Leave room for 4 HOURS, with fan running. Return and DON ON the gear again. Rinse the jelly off completely. If another layer is required (doubtful), then let surface dry, or force-dry with a hair dryer. Apply coat #2 absurdly, leave again 4 hrs.

Paul T. Knisely
- Kenmore, Washington

A. Hey guys, for natural options, you can soak paper towel to white vinegar and let it stay to the stained areas for 2 to 3 hour :)

Cristina Yap
- Chicago, Illinois

VOTED
BEST
ANSWER
=>

++++++

A. I hope I can save someone 8 hours of torture. To remove those brown stains in the bathtub caused by sulfuric acid fumes, pour some hydrogen peroxideamazoninfo on the area. The brown stains will disappear faster than they showed up!

Dennis Mostyn
- Lincolnwood, Illinois

thumbsup2Similar to others above, I used a sulfuric acid drain declogger in my bathtub drain and the fumes stained the entire tub a dirty brown. Normal cleansers didn't touch the stain and I was really worried until I found this site. The hydrogen peroxide (simple drugstore antiseptic) sounded like the least caustic remedy so I tried it first, painting it on with a paintbrush. Presto, the stain disappeared with each brushstroke! Thanks, Dennis!

T Bruce Bridgeman
- Toledo, Ohio

thumbsup2Like others, I used a commercial drain cleaner with sulfuric acid on my older bathtub drain. The fumes stained the entire tub - bottom, sides, top rim - dark brown. I scheduled a company to reglaze it (for $350) and then thought to check online. I poured some hydrogen peroxide on the stains and they vanished! Thanks to the person who took the time to post this solution. You saved me a lot of money. This is a great site.

Janet Fisher
- Newton, Massachusetts

thumbsup2I too put sulfuric acid down a tub drain. I did this hours before guests arrived for the weekend. My tub stained horribly brown almost immediately from fumes even though no sulfuric acid had touched the porcelain tub. I saw this online hydrogen peroxide tip - I was skeptical, but I thought I couldn't possibly make it worse. I bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and wet paper towels with peroxide. I lined the tub with the paper towels. I left the paper towels there for an hour. While some stains came up immediately, the deeper stains needed the full hour. BUT IT WORKED! Long live Google!

S Hollinlike
- New Orleans, Louisiana

thumbsup2THANKS A MILLION.... DENNIS..! Hydrogen Peroxide worked like a charm..!

Ken Virani
- Los Angeles, California

thumbsup2I just found this post and I was blown away with how well the Hydrogen Peroxide worked on the sulfuric acid stains. I just sprinkled it in the tub and like magic, the stains disappeared.

I checked it out about 5 minutes ago, and they are still gone. I will return with a better dose and a cleansing of the Peroxide, just to make sure. Thanks for a great solution.

Holly Free
- Hollywood, California, US

Brown bleach stains on tub

+++++++

Q. Hi
I put neat bleach on my old enamel bath to clean it, but when I came back there was a horrible brown stain I can't get off. Can anyone help?

Mrs Jennines
- U.K.

A. I just sprayed basically, straight bleach on the mildewed tile grout in my tub surround and cane back a few minutes later to major rusty colored drips all over the sides of my tub. I tried the hydrogen peroxide idea (put some in a bowl and brushed it on with a paint brush) and the stains disappeared instantly! Thank goodness! My husband would've gone through the roof if he saw that! Thanks Dennis!

Erin Boone
- Houston, Texas

A. I had used bleach on the tub for stains also and ended up with brown stains - I used CLRamazoninfo and they were gone in minutes.

Thanks for the help

Don Taylor
- Arl, Texas

thumbsup2WOW, this was so great and helpful.

Chris O
- Birmingham, Alabama

thumbsup2Freaky but it does work! Saved us $275 on re-glazing!

Carol Wolaver
- Msqt, Texas

thumbsup2Thank you for the advice on how to remove tub stain . I'm very happy that the Hydrogen Peroxide work's very well and also very quick. Thank you very much
Jose from Chicago

Jose Lopez
- Chicago, Illinois

thumbsup2The hydrogen peroxide was amazing. I bought a bottle for $1 and filled up a sprayer. The stains came off as quick as I sprayed. Thank you so much.

Cindy Wilkerson
- Longview, Texas

A. Oxidization from Bleach on your tub?

I did the peroxide remedy to my bleached tub. It worked like a CHARM!

I rubbed with a disposable handi-wipe. For the more stubborn part which was at the end closest to the drain, I just soaked the wipe and laid the peroxide on it for about ten minutes. Came back, and it was GONE! I mean before my tub was like brown and bronze from the oxidation. Now it's whiter than it was before. THANKS!

King

Yoy King
- Columbus, Georgia

thumbsup2Dennis you are a life saver! I just moved into my new apartment and the tub had some stains from the previous owner. I tried to clean it by spraying down the whole tub with bleach, per my mothers instructions. It immediately made these ungodly brownish-red rust stains. I was mortified at the thought that this would stay, as I have a guest coming over shortly, furthermore I didn't want this to come out of my security deposit. I filled a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit. The stains started to whiten within a few minutes! The tougher stains may need a second coat but THIS DEFINITELY WORKS. I was reading about some other solutions on other websites like CLR but I had a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on hand so I thought I would try this first and I'm glad I did.

Dean L
- Boston, Massachusetts, USA

thumbsup2Just like to say, Dennis, you are a star! Top Bloke! You have saved me a lot of money and I thank you! Wot goes around comes around, my friend.....x

Deb Oily
- Lancaster, U.K.

thumbsup2Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the Hydrogen Peroxide tip! It worked in seconds, as soon as I applied it with a sponge. AMAZING! My husband would have lectured me for the rest of my life about staining our bathtub. I am happy I know this and I will share it with my friends!

Raluca Topor
- Chicago, Illinois

thumbsup2I used the Hydrogen Peroxide and it knocked the bottom out of the rust stains in my tub! Thanks!

Brett "Old Sport" Svatek
- Los Angeles, California

! Open house to try to sell in less than 12 hours and I left bleach on my clawfoot tub, came back to find a nightmare of orange stains. Found a 24-hour pharmacy, loaded up on hydrogen peroxide; the stains were gone so quickly and easily that I wish I'd known it was that simple because then I wouldn't have tried scrubbing until my fingers throbbed before getting in the car. Thanks all!

Ann Smith
- Wichita, Kansas, USA

Acid roughened tub and turned it white

Q. Hi, used sulphuric acid industrial strength to unblock my drain unfortunately it has stained my off white bath tub white. Will hydrogen peroxide work? Help please.

Aisha S
- london england

A. Hi Alisha.

Sorry, but if the coloration was bleached out by the acid, I don't think you can restore it with peroxide.

Q. A friend left a virgin sulfuric acid drain cleaner in my old claw foot tub overnight. I cleaned the discolorations, but I'm left with a very rough surface. I can't tell if it's a deposit on the enamel surface or if the sulfuric acid ate away the enamel. I've been able to kind of scrape some off with a knife (I think) but haven't found any way to make it smooth again. Has anyone else had this problem? Or know if I can fix it?

stephanie craig
- newton Massachusetts US

A. Hi Stephanie. It's possible that it can't be fixed -- that the sulfuric acid selectively etched the porcelain too severely. But you won't fix it chemically.

Assuming you don't have a buffing machine, get a buffing pad for your battery operated drill, put some polishing compound like Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polishamazoninfo, or even Barkeepers Friendamazoninfo on it, and see if you can smooth out the "tooth". Good luck.

thumbsup2Thank you! I will try that.

Stephanie Craig
- Newton Massachusetts US

Aluminum or steel scratch marks in tub

Q. Hello
I cleaned the steel oven rack in the porcelain bath tub. It left numerous "aluminum-looking" scrape marks on the tub, though obviously not aluminum. Tried VIM and Mr Clean to no avail. Help, please?

Robert Barr
hobbyist - Winnipeg, Manitoba

A. Some other readers reported scrape marks like that in their sinks caused by titanium rings, Robert. Some suggestions were made and some success reported on letters 18828 "Titanium scratch marks on porcelain" and 20906 "Titanium stain on porcelain sink". You might see if those ideas work for you. Good luck.

thumbsup2Thanks for leading me to query . Glass Stove-top cleaner had the metal scrapes removed from the porcelain bath tub in two minutes flat. No damage.

Robert Barr
- Winnipeg, Manitoba

Bathmat-like pattern in tub

Q. I just had my dream house completed from the ground up. My guest bathtub is stained from the original installer of the tub. It has a stain as though there is bath mat down to keep you from slipping and falling when taking a shower or bath. I want to say I want to scream but afraid the neighbor would think I am a nut. This will not go away and I hate it.
Anyone out there with some advise before I have the entire tub replaced?

Betty Williams
- Fort Lauderdale Florida

A. Hi Betty; sorry for your problem. But it's hard to figure out what, if anything, will remove a stain of unknown origin and type.

Some tubs, however, including my new one, have a faint bathmat pattern built in, which is reasonably visible in some light; you might double check with the supplier if this might be the case because it sounds like it to me.

Q. Hi. My daughter has poured neat disinfectant onto an old bath at her rental causing brown stains; the active ingredient is benzylalkonium chloride. Will hydrogen peroxide take it off do you think?

Susan Kane
- Newcastle NSW Australia

Q. My acrylic/fiberglass (don't know which one) bathtub is next to a window (with the shade always closed). I had candles and flower candle rings around the top of the tub. I removed the candles/rings and those areas are white and the remainder of the tub has turned yellowish (not evenly). Would this situation be alleviated by the use of hydrogen peroxide to make my tub white again?

Linda Rhodes
- Murrieta, California, USA

I've still not seen a response to my question. Will Ted respond to it?

Linda Rhodes [returning]
- Murrieta, California, USA

A. Hi Linda. This is a public forum where we share camaraderie and post people's questions and answers. I have no experience in this area, so I only respond if nobody else replies, out of courtesy to you for posting here.

I claim no expertise in tubs, but my belief is that the top layer of resin or coating on the tub has yellowed with time and/or with this minimal exposure to sunlight. I strongly doubt that peroxide will accomplish anything ... Sorry to transmit bad news.

Q. HELP , I have used drops of essential oils in my acrylic bath when bathing my granddaughter, and I have just rinsed the bath with water to clean it. As it is our second bathroom it isn't used very often and I have just looked at it and the oils have dried in a yellow staining on the bath sides. Obviously as the water has drained, the oil has stuck to the surface; you can feel it is raised so isn't so much of staining but actual dried residue. Any ideas how to soften it to remove it any ideas welcome :)

Leigh Haupt
- Perth Western Australia

Q. I spilt iodine on what I believe is acrylic plastic? I made the mistake of trying to remove it with ammonia which set it rather than remove it ... Is there any way to remove it? Or is all lost .... :( ?

Many thanks,
Lindy.

Lindy Berg
- Bedford, Massachusetts

Q. Hi this looks really promising, better than spending £400 to have it re-enammeled. What strength hydrogen peroxide should I buy. Thanks

Jill Bdeleted
- UNITED KINGDOM

A. Hi Jill. I see no advantage in using an overly strong and unnecessarily dangerous concentration. I'd just go with the 3% drugstore strength. =>

Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
(case of 12)

Q. Since taking up residence here three years ago, I have been battling the rust (?) brown stains/film on both tubs and surrounds, but the same "blight" is in the commodes, inside the refrigerator by the lights, pieces and parts of almost every electrical outlet, lightbulbs (including fluorescents), sockets, with few exceptions, almost anything electrical. STRANGELY, where water sits in the back of the tank, no stain, but when I siphoned it out for cleaning, it started to stain as well. I will work on the stains for hours, swapping out product, going back to baking soda & peroxide, sometimes Glass Stove cleaner, sometimes it works if I don't RUB, when I rub it's like I'm sealing it back into the finishes; and sometimes, I'll just be wiping it down dejectedly and there's an incredibly clean spot under part of my labor. What the?? Now I'm trying again, with a paintbrush and patience. I just don't get the chemical reaction that's doing all of this damage...any thoughts? This is the first community I've discovered who doesn't think rust is rust and nothing else happens :(

Christine Hay
- Mandeville, Louisiana USA

thumbsup2OMG USE THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IT WORKS!! I Also USED A CHEMICAL FOR MY DRAIN AND IT STAINED LIKE CRAZY. SO I GOT ON GOOGLE READING PEOPLE'S COMMENTS AND TOOK THE ADVICE, AND IT TRULY WORKED. THANK YOU ALL..

L. johnson
- Muskegon Michigan

thumbsup2Thanks for this helpful information. My kitchen sink was clogged and my husband used something that made our bathtub look stained. I tried several solutions, but the stains would not come off. Then I used Hydrogen Peroxide and the stains instantly disappeared.

Carla McClure
- Hickman, Kentucky USA

!! Dennis -- write a book already! We're waiting on more wisdom!

Tj Ones
- Fresco, Texas

thumbsup2I had ugly brown stains in my tub from removing mildew grout stains with bleach in a spray bottle. Just spray bleach on the mildew and within minutes the mildew dies leaving nice grout again. Unfortunately, the dead mildew dripped into the tub leaving ugly brown stains. Tried spraying on Hydrogen Peroxide and the brown stains simply disappeared -- incredible.

Charles Naftal
- Mineola, New York USA

thumbsdownSadly the hydrogen peroxide did not work for my drain opener stains. Don't know what to do...

Dani Lawson
- Tinton Falls, Virginia

Hi. The peroxide answer was for porcelainized cast iron tubs, plus wherever else it may be useful.
It is possible that if your tub is fiberglass or acrylic, that the drain cleaner damaged it to where simply removing the rust won't restore its looks :-(

thumbsup2I used a clog remover containing sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide in a drain in a porcelain on cast iron 100-year old sink and discovered brown stains around the drain area - I very likley was not careful and let the product splash out. The advice to try hydrogen peroxide is fabulous - it started removing the stains immediately and I soaked a paper towel in the hydrogen peroxide and let it sit on the stained area for just a few minutes and now the stains are gone. Thank you SO much for the chemistry lesson!

Ardath Weaver
- Raleigh, North Carolina, USA

Q. I have lived in our current house for 15 years. We have had the yellowish/brown stains in the old tub the whole time. I assumed it was the enamel wearing through. Now that I see what it is I had hope but none of the suggestions seem to be working for me.
All of the related stories indicate that they were able to fix a problem that they had caused ...soon after they caused it.
Has anyone been able to remove the chlorine tub stains after years and years?
thanks!

Chuck baber
- Strasburg, Virginia-USA

A. Use Liquid Clorox 2 to remove the brown tub left behind from drain openers. It comes in the blue bottle. Make sure it is Clorox "2"
Works great. It's nice and thick, so it coats real nice. I promise this is the trick!

Beth Olson
- Tulsa Oklahoma USA