-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

How Do I Seal a Brass Bed After It's Been Restored?

Q. My dad is cleaning my very old brass bed, and we did that with diluted acid and Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Now my problem is, what do we finish and seal it with? It seems like we've heard of something made just for brass. My dad is afraid that if we use a lacquer or polyurethane it will yellow after time.

Elizabeth G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- New Albany, Indiana

A. For protecting a finished brass surface, Polished, satin, scrubbed, bead blasted ... whatever! Lacquer is the way to go, or oven baked epoxy (type of lacquer) If your cleaned or restored surface looks just like you want it, lacquer will keep it about like that, maybe with a slight shine or wet look the higher the polish. This has been used on band instruments forever -- almost:)

Jon VanBuren
Noteworthy Piano Service - Holland, Michigan

Q. I would like to know what could be painted/sprayed on cleaned and polished 1/2 inch copper pipe that is being used in an outdoor decoration that will preserve the shiny copper color.

Anthony Namlick
- Easton, Maryland USA

++++ -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

LON L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
homemaker - REINBECK, IOWA

A. Hi Anthony, hi Lon.

As Jon suggests, Brass lacquer is probably what you're looking for. For large quantities, look to G.J. Nikolas. If you just want a spray can or two, you can try brass lacquer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon].

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

A. I agree with all said here, regarding lacquer. However a couple of important steps were missed.
1. After it has been polished there will be some residue left it is important to remove this, in warm to hot soapy water.
2. Gloves (I find the surgical type is best) must be put on, this is important as any finger prints will be seen after the Lacquer is applied.
I find at least 3 coats should be applied. The slightly warm fitting will allow the lacquer to dry more quickly.

Brian Edwards
- Sydney Australia

April 24, 2011 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Brass "knuckles?"? I am a disabled Veteran who uses a walking cane. I purchased one with a brass eagle head and over time the finish has worn off and the brass is turning my palm green. Recently I sent it to a plater who refinished it and said they would also apply a sealant of some type to prevent it from turning my hand green, but after several months the finish has worn off again and it is turning my hand green. I was wondering if I could paint it with something and then seal it myself to keep this from happening. I understand the sweat from my hand is what is causing the reaction. Any ideas on the matter?

Manolo Fogg
Hobbyist - Woodburn, Kentucky

A. Hi, Manolo.

You can strip the old lacquer with Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], then apply new lacquer. An automotive clear coat would be longer lasting than lacquer, but requires a spray gun that most consumers wouldn't have. Good luck, and thank you for your service to our country.

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

Brass lacquer

"Polishing for Love". My parents purchased two brass wood boxes ( 18x18x12) in Germany about 60 years ago. I have them placed at either side of my fireplace. Over the years they have been polished over and over and are now looking very sad. I can clean them again but I want to put something on them to keep them looking good for the further and beyond.
I await with bated breath for any advise or help.

Rhoda Savage
retired college professor - Cumming, Georgia, USA

A. Hi, Rhoda.
Brass Lacquer is designed for this particular purpose and, unlike some clear coats, it's easily removed if you change your mind. If you think that's unlikely, then you can apply an automotive-style 2-K clear coat =>
But if you don't like it, it's hard to get off.

The third option, which would require more frequent maintenance, would be wax =>

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish

2K Clearcoat

Lacquered brass candle holders are grainy and not smooth

Q. I am refinishing a brass floor candle holder from our church. It has a mirror shine and have spray lacquered twice. The finish is not smooth, but grainy in places. I stripped and tried again. Having a very difficult time acquiring a smooth finish. Is there a way to remedy this?

Mary Ann Koetter
- beech grove Indiana USA

A. Hi Mary Ann. The manufacturers of high end chandeliers apply 6 coats or more. Are you sure your coats are light enough, that the application conditions aren't too dusty, and that the lacquer is not old and expired? What kind of lacquer are you spraying on it?

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search