How Do I Seal a Brass Bed After It's Been Restored?

+

Q. My dad is cleaning my very old brass bed, and we did that with diluted acid and Brassoamazoninfo. Now my problem is, what do we finish and seal it with? It seems like we've heard of something made just for brass. My dad is afraid that if we use a lacquer or polyurethane it will yellow after time.

Elizabeth Gdeleted
- New Albany, Indiana

++

A. For protecting a finished brass surface, Polished, satin, scrubbed, bead blasted ... whatever! Lacquer is the way to go, or oven baked epoxy (type of lacquer) If your cleaned or restored surface looks just like you want it, lacquer will keep it about like that, maybe with a slight shine or wet look the higher the polish. This has been used on band instruments forever -- almost:)

Jon VanBuren
Noteworthy Piano Service - Holland, Michigan

+++

Q. I would like to know what could be painted/sprayed on cleaned and polished 1/2 inch copper pipe that is being used in an outdoor decoration that will preserve the shiny copper color.

Anthony Namlick
- Easton, Maryland USA

++++appended

Q. WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD TO SEAL THE BRASS BED AFTER ITS BEEN POLISHED?

LON Ldeleted
homemaker - REINBECK, IOWA

++++

A. Hi Anthony, hi Lon.

As Jon suggests, Brass lacquer is probably what you're looking for. For large quantities, look to G.J. Nikolas. If you just want a spray can or two, you can try brass lacqueramazoninfo.

A. I agree with all said here, regarding lacquer. However a couple of important steps were missed.
1. After it has been polished there will be some residue left it is important to remove this, in warm to hot soapy water.
2. Gloves (I find the surgical type is best) must be put on, this is important as any finger prints will be seen after the Lacquer is applied.
I find at least 3 coats should be applied. The slightly warm fitting will allow the lacquer to dry more quickly.

Brian Edwards
- Sydney Australia

April 24, 2011appended

Brass "knuckles?"? I am a disabled Veteran who uses a walking cane. I purchased one with a brass eagle head and over time the finish has worn off and the brass is turning my palm green. Recently I sent it to a plater who refinished it and said they would also apply a sealant of some type to prevent it from turning my hand green, but after several months the finish has worn off again and it is turning my hand green. I was wondering if I could paint it with something and then seal it myself to keep this from happening. I understand the sweat from my hand is what is causing the reaction. Any ideas on the matter?

Manolo Fogg
Hobbyist - Woodburn, Kentucky

A. Hi, Manolo.

You can strip the old lacquer with Acetoneamazoninfo or lacquer thinneramazoninfo, then apply new lacquer. An automotive clear coat would be longer lasting than lacquer, but requires a spray gun that most consumers wouldn't have. Good luck, and thank you for your service to our country.

Brass Lacquer

"Polishing for Love". My parents purchased two brass wood boxes ( 18x18x12) in Germany about 60 years ago. I have them placed at either side of my fireplace. Over the years they have been polished over and over and are now looking very sad. I can clean them again but I want to put something on them to keep them looking good for the further and beyond.
I await with bated breath for any advise or help.
Rhoda

Rhoda Savage
retired college professor - Cumming, Georgia, USA

A. Hi, Rhoda.
Brass Lacquer is designed for this particular purpose and, unlike some clear coats, it's easily removed if you change your mind. If you think that's unlikely, then you can apply an automotive-style 2-K clear coat =>
But if you don't like it, it's hard to get off.

The third option, which would require more frequent maintenance, would be wax =>

Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish

2K Clearcoat