Hot Dipped Galvanized Coatings: G90 vs G60

+

Q. What is the most common hot dipped galvanized used? Is it G90 or G60? Please let me know.

Thank you!

CÈsar Marciales
- El Segundo, California

+

A. The G60 is the most common galvanized metal and determines the amount of galvanize on the metal. The G90 would be more galvanized coating than say G60. If it is for outdoor use or in a high moisture environment I would always specify G90, just because it seems to make a difference over time.

I hope this helps,

Steve Sarten
steel company - Lenoir City, Tennessee

A. In an outdoor area G90 will last longer; it's like painting a car: the more coats the longer the steel will be protected ... but in this case it's more zinc applied to the steel.
G90 100-150 yrs.
G60 50-100
G30 <50

DANNY TIDWELL
METAL WORKS - GAINESVILLE,FLORIDA

Q. Is there a specification difference between G60/G60 and 60G/60G? Basically, are there 2 different spec's or do 60G and G60 mean the same thing?

Kurt Dutcher
Stamping - Chelsea, Michigan

Q. I can't find an American made drywall screw with a G90 coating. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dan Wing
- LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA

A. Both Simpson and East Coast Fasteners sell drywall screws that are mechanically galvanized. G90 is 0.9 oz/sq ft, and the deposit thicknesses are in that range. Mechanical galvanizing is a good choice for these fasteners due to the risk of hydrogen embrittlement.

tom_rochester Tom Rochester
Plating Systems & Technologies, Inc.  

Jackson, Michigan, USA