Which Juice Cleans Pennies Best?

+

Q. My name is Steven and I am doing a science fair project on which juice cleans pennies best. I am using apple, lime, orange and tomato juices. The tomato juice seems to do the best job. I think the reason is the acid in the tomato juice is this the reason or is there another one? Thanks--Steven

Steven Sdeleted
- Fort Wayne, Indiana

+

A. Hi, Steven. No, I don't think that's why the tomato juice worked well. Was this juice that you squeezed from a tomato yourself, or that you got from a can or bottle? If the latter, please read the ingredients and I bet you will see salt listed. Maybe your experiment should be to test fresh-squeezed tomato juice against bottled?

Please see our FAQ on Cleaning Pennies, which I think will answer all your questions. Good luck with the science fair.

+++

A. Hi Steven. I think the reason tomato juice works is because it is sort of acidic. All fruits and fruit juices are acidic. It may also look like tomato juice works but it might also be because tomato juice is red and it gives the penny a red tint and that makes it look shinier.

Minh Pdeleted
- Savannah, Georgia

+++

A. My son did the experiment and he said vinegar and salt did the best job.

Rose Matthews
- Louisville, Georgia

++++

Q. My name is Andrea. I heard that the best juice is orange juice. But I guess tomato juice is better. Will someone try that out and see what cleans better...orange juice or tomato juice? Thanks. Cause I'm doing a science fair project on this......holla!

Andrea deleted
student - Louisville, Kentucky

++++

thumbsup2I think that that 'someone' is supposed to be you, Andrea :-)

You will ruin your science fair project if you practice "junk science" by trying to make your results match someone else's instead of just being your results.

++++

A. I think that it works the best because of the acid

Erika Welton
- Canada

----
Ed. note: Please see our F.A.Q. on this subject

Q. Hi! my name's Linda. I am working on a science fair project on what juice cleans pennies best. So you guys say tomato juice, huh? let me know!

Linda sdeleted
- ft Wayne Indiana

A. Hi, Linda. No, you let us know what juice cleaned your pennies best. If you try to get the "right" answer, what will happen is you will talk yourself out of writing down what you actually saw for yourself -- and that's not science, that's the poison called "junk science". Whatever works best in your experiment works best and is the right answer.

Q. Why don't you try grapefruit juice? Tell me how it works out. I'm in seventh grade. What grade are you in?

Anthony Cdeleted
- Hollister, California

Q. My daughter is in fourth grade and is doing a science project on "Which juice cleans a penny better?" she is using orange juice, apple, and cranberry juice but she's having a hard time finding simple definitions for their ingredients. Can anyone help?

Marshall Clarke
- Miami, Florida

A. Hi, Marshall. Fruit juices are complex mixtures of hundreds or thousands of different molecules or compounds. While we may guess that citric acid is an important material in fruit juices, and it gets some of the credit for the tarnish removal, I'm not confident that your daughter is going to make a lot of useful progress taking this tack.

She might measure the pH of the 3 juices and see if she can correlate it to the tarnish removal power of the juice. But in any case, careful recording of observations is probably what it's really about.

(for Kindle)
Unforgettable Experiments
that make Science Fun

Earth Science for Every Kid

Q. My son is doing a project on What cleans pennies best? His Hypothesis was orange because of the amount of citric acid in has in it. He also gonna try pineapple juice and apple juice

Ayesha asaleem
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania

A. Hi Ayesha. It sounds like a viable hypothesis that orange juice will clean pennies better than pineapple juice or apple juice except where he says "because of the amount of citric acid in it". Does he know how much citric acid is in orange, pineapple, and apple juice? Does he know as fact that citric acid is a good cleaner? Is it possible that something else in orange juice causes its cleaning power? If the apple juice or pineapple juice cleans better, what will he write?

I think good lab practices like careful gathering and dating of observations, plus not making overly broad claims, are ingredients in a successful project. Good luck