Material With Very Low Coefficient of Friction

+

Q. Hello Everybody,

I am looking for a material having the kinematic (dynamic) coefficient of material from 0.05-0.1 with NewsPrint.

So, if you can send this type of material, I am ready to order for it on the behalf of the department of OSU.

Rupesh

RUPESH GARG
- OSU, STILLWATER, Oklahoma

First of two simultaneous responses-- +

A. The materials with lowest coefficients (<0.2) that I know are graphite, diamond-like-carbon (DLC) and diamond. There might be some other compounds. The coefficient also depends on the ambient gas, moisture and temperature conditions. DLC is a thin coating and not a block of solid.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

Second of two simultaneous responses-- +

A. Rupesh,

While you are looking for a surface with a low coefficient of friction, you will also need a surface with good wear resistance because of its contact with newsprint. I know of a metal coating which can be applied to metal surfaces which can achieve this coefficient of friction. This material is Electroless Nickel infused with Teflon. This combination of Nickel and Teflon gives great Wear Resistance and has a low coefficient of friction (I think it is about 0.06).

Tony D'Amato
- Chicopee, Massachusetts

+

A. DEAR RUPESH:

I TEND TO AGREE MORE WITH TONY'S RESPONSE BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH FROM THE THEORETICAL POINT OF VIEW GRAPHITE IS INDEED VERY SLIPPERY, IT WEARS OUT VERY FAST AND WILL STAIN OR CONTAMINATE MOST SURFACES IN CONTACT. WHEREAS DIAMOND AND DIAMOND-LIKE COATINGS WILL PROBABLY BE TECHNICALLY SUITABLE BUT EXPENSIVE.

ON THE OTHER HAND, NICKEL COMPOSITES WITH TEFLON OR WITH INORGANIC PARTICLES IS AFFORDABLE, WEAR RESISTANT AND WILL NOT LIKELY STAIN OR CONTAMINATE ANY SURFACE APPRECIABLY. IT CAN BE OBTAINED FROM SEVERAL SOURCES IN THE U.S.

ONE OF THEM IS SURFACE TECHNOLOGY, INC. IN TRENTON, NJ. UNDER THE NAME OF ELECTROLESS NICKEL 500 SERIES, OR NISLIP.

GOOD LUCK.

++

A. In our powder coating facility we have used a product by Anzo-Nobel called XP666-7 that has a high teflon content and a very low coefficient of friction that we applied to some sheet metal plates that we produced for a Ink Jet Printer OEM. They come into contact with the printer paper and allow the paper to be driven over it by use of friction wheels. It is a powder that is applied with common electrostatic powder coating equipment and run through a curing oven at a temperature of 385 °F.

Jeffery P. Harris
- Means, Kentucky

++++

A. Hi, according to the National University of México, hard chrome has a friction coefficient of 2.0 when lubed and an abrasive wear of 2.0, 932 °F heat treated electroless nickel has a 0.25 FC and 2.7 in abrasive wear. There is a nickel-cobalt-boron alloy called DOX that can be electrodeposited, it has a 0.16 FC and a 1.09 abrasive wear. Of course teflon has a 0.04 FC, but wear abrasion is way too high.

Amilcar Alzaga
Metal Coating - Mexico City, México

++++

Thanks, Amilcar, but there is a typographical error there somewhere. Coefficients of friction are rarely higher than one, and hard chrome is rather slippery. Chromium on steel has been reported as ranging from 0.16 to about 0.2, dry, so that's probably what you meant. But it's difficult to say what a lubed coefficient of friction actually is because it depends on configuration.

In plating school years ago an instructor brought in a hard chrome plated cone with an extremely fine knurling, set it on its base on his desk, and defied any student to pick it up without sliding it to the end of the desk and catching it. Naturally, with the low coefficient of friction, and the "squirting" as you pressed your fingers on the cone, it was impossible to pick up :-)

++++++

A. With normal operating temperatures to 550 °F, Vespel is a polymide with the lowest coefficient of friction that I know of. GM is using it for bushings in the "A" arms of their Corvettes.
Easily machinable, it is easily the material of my choice.
Cons; This material is staggeringly expensive. ex; 1/4" dia. x 1" long rod is about $23.00.

Harry Hipomire
- Bristol, Connecticut

Thanks Harry. I don't think it's the virgin Vespel per se that is so low friction, though. Rather, graphite, teflon, and molybdenum disulphide can be impregnated into it for extremely low friction.

Q. Gentleman,

Looking about the "low friction materials" I wish to associate the aluminium and the Ertalon PLA6/ Nylatron. They are good in temperature and allow to slide under a reasonable resistance, but I haven't accurate data of coefficient of friction.
Thank you to propose something better and cheaper.
Regards, Stevan

Burik Stevan
hovercraft building - Baja, Bacs-Kishkun, Hungary