-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Propane Gas Firelogs Won't Stay Lit

My propane gas firelogs/heater won't light. The pilot light won't stay on. Could the problem be too small a pipe line being run to it? We have a 100 lb. tank connected with 1/2" flexible copper tubing? The connections have been checked over and over and are not leaking? Please help.

Ruth White
- Nashville, TN USA

Somebody will probably answer your question authoritatively just to prove me wrong :-)

... but I think you're posting at the wrong website. This site is about metal finishing and your question veers so far that people probably think our pilot light is blown out.

Ted Mooney,

Of course it's the wrong website, but I'll bet there's a draft in the chimney.

totter James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

There is undoubtedly a replaceable thermocouple (T/C). The end has to be placed properly in a bracket, close to, but not directly in, the flame. Sometimes these get out of place, or can "burn out" and either way, they fail to give the millivoltage necessary to continue to hold the safety valve open after lighting. A replacement costs around $10, I think.

Take the one installed to the fireplace accessory section of a home improvement supplies store who can test it, and advise on the exact replacement needed. This T/C is VERY IMPORTANT for your SAFETY - do not attempt to by-pass it. If after checking as above, the problem is still not fixed, I would get a heating system professional in, to check it out.

Good Luck.

W. Carl Erickson
- Rome, New York

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search