The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Mirror resilvering

+

I want to restore the reflector surface on some antique wall sconces and a vanity mirror. The original surface appears to be a mercury amalgam; this can be easily removed.

An old mirror silvering text refers to using a silver nitrate solution and a heated metal table. Also, I was referred to home-made telescope mirrors utilizing a silver nitrate solution.

Is anyone familiar with these processes of silvering?

Kevin Thomas
- Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA

+

Try Jema-American, a company that sells supplies for re-silvering mirrors. I know someone that uses their products on items like yours.

If indeed the sconces have mercury on them, (I hope not) you should consider carefully if it is safe for you to handle them.

Terry Collins
Gold Touch Inc.

Cleveland, Ohio

+

If only the edges are black; there is also a new product available from home repair supply stores that is a mirror surface, but is able to be cut into suitable strips to frame an old mirror, or the like, and cover the bad edges. I have only seen it advertised, but have not tried it myself yet.

W. Carl Erickson
- Rome, New York

+

A very simple silvering method can be found at: www.makestuff.com. I doubt that your mirror was made with mercury- the silver on old mirrors is very soft- you can scratch it with your fingernail....

George Brackett III
- Utica, New York

++

I need to repair a mirror from the 1940's it has a look of painted grainy streaks through the back side, it has 2 small areas that need filling in to restore the front "mirror" look. Can someone tell me what is used to repair it and if the substance is indeed painted on. The areas are smaller than a dime in size. Thank you I appreciate the help!

Debi Silvia
- Hemet, California, USA

++++

I have a very old antique mirror of my grandmothers. It has a black spot in the middle of it where the silvering has come off. Is there anything I can get to cover the spot instead of having the whole mirror stripped and re-silvered. Someone told me there was something that would cover it since it was not a very large area. Thank you for your help.

Carroll Payne
Homemaker - Muskogee, Oklahoma