Welding of Zinc Plated Hinges

+

I have a steel hinge that has the following finishes:

FRAME LEAF AND DOOR LEAF:

1010 Steel, zinc plate plus chromate dip, yellow.

My question is the following: Can I weld these hinges to my enclosure?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Luis Lucas, Applications Engineer
- Concordville, Pennsylvania

+

You can weld zinc plated steel, but it will not be as easy as the same steel without the zinc. The zinc around the weld and the Chromate coating for a greater distance from the weld will be destroyed. You also should be aware of the zinc fumes created during welding.

The best practice for welding zinc coated steel is to remove the zinc from the immediate area of the weld before welding, then repair the coating after welding. Several different repair alternatives are available, including brush plating, thermal spray, solder coating.

hanke Larry Hanke
  materials testing laboratory
Minneapolis, Minnesota

++++++

Mig welding. I would like to know what sort of temperature I should set the mig welder to weld a zinc coated bar onto a piece of black bar.

Jamie Crainie
student welder - Kilmarnock, Scotland

+++++++

That would depend on the thickness of the materials.

You should really grind the plating off anyway and use normal settings for the materials.

Neil huband
- dundee, Scotland

Q. Sir, what is the reason for zinc plating while we are welding the plated components?

ajay kumar
munjal auto - india

Welding respirator

Welding: A Management Primer and Employee Training Guide

Welding Safety

A. Hi Ajay.

Can you please explain your situation? Are you asking for all of the reasons why a components might be zinc plated? There are probably dozens of possible reasons, ranging from sacrificial protection to nice appearance. What component do you have in mind?

Ideally, parts should be plated after all fabrication, including welding, has been completed.