Melting Point of Rosin

.

We are manufacturer of SWITCH WITH CIRCUIT BREAKER, and are looking for further information about MELTING POINT of Rosin since we are planning to solder some thermal alloy which are very sensitive with temperature.

If there anyone can help to provide information regarding Rosin Fluxes especially melting point?

It will be very grateful if some one can provide

Gary Wu
- TAIPEI, TAIWAN, R.O.C.

.

Gary,

I hate to say this but I don't think that your query is too pertinent.

The use of rosin is, I believe, to achieve a good bond between the items being 'soldered'. Nothing else.

Obviously the heat of any (normal) solder is going to be the deciding factor, eh?

Hence, I'd sure just get the regular rosin and try some experiments ... and not worry so much.

Cheers !

freeman newton portrait Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
freeman newton died

+

Hello Gary

Freeman is right, the melting point of the rosin, or any other flux, is unimportant as it must be lower than the melting point of the solder but then you have to go up to the melting point of the solder anyway.

The lowest melting solder I know is 61.9% tin / 38.9% lead, which melts at 183 centigrade.

If this is too high for your application there are "conductive adhesives". Some are glue with silver flakes mixed in. Nothing is problem free but These would be worth looking into.

Ian

Ian Brooke
university - Glasgow, Scotland

+++++

Gary,
Which melting point of rosin you need?
In the Russian book: "Tables of physical data" published at year 1976 by "Atomizdat" from Moscow, I have found that melting point of rosin is 68 degree C.
At the other places, I have found that melting point of rosin varies with different specimens, some being semi-fluid at the temperature of boiling water, while others melt at 100° to 120° C.
.
Prof. Pavel Cibin
University of Montenegro
Serbia and Montenegro (former Yugoslavia)

Pavel Cibin
University of Montenegro - Podgorica, Serbia and Montenegro (former Yugoslavia)