The finishing.com Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster
Industrial toxic chemical poisoning(2000)
My husband has been disabled since Dec. 1994. He was putting a water-proofing product on the bathroom floors of a federal building. After passing out several time, his boss ordered the written material on said used product. We found out that the product was not to be used indoors unless worker used forced air equipment with full body suits. By this time is was too late for my husband.
The water proofing produce included the toxic chemicals: benzene, Toluene [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and cyanide. These chemicals have caused him to have bronchial asthma, severe hand tremors, dizziness, extreme nervousness, gastrointestional problems, short term memory loss, blurred vision, irregular heartbeat, and other numerous symptoms.
Our problem is that due to our home burning down to the ground, all evidence was lost. If any company dealing with like said product could help, we would be very grateful as the federal government is trying to say now that my past cigarette smoking is the major reason for my present medical condition. Like name of product: LD5000--in 5 gallon pails with orange and black label made in Minn., MD.Kathleen Sites
- Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Kathleen, if one of our readers were able to correctly or incorrectly guess the name of the manufacturer of this material you would still be nowhere. So people are unlikely to put themselves out tracking down this info and are likely to dismiss your complaint as nonsense -- NOT because of the actual facts of your husband's exposure to it, but because of the way you are choosing to pursue your complaint.
You need to talk to an attorney. Lawyers have all sorts of resources that are not available to you and I, including subpoena power to inspect the employer's files and very easily obtain all the information you are looking for.
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey
I am a New York City attorney. Our practice emphasizes representation of plaintiffs in chemical exposure cases such as your husband's. While a case such as the one involving your husband could be proved through extensive expert testimony, medical records and MSDS sheets, the statute of limitations is a matter of concern in all cases involving chemical exposure. Most states have a two or three year statute of limitations from the discovery of the exposure on both workers compensation cases and cases against third parties. You must check the limitations statute in your state. Since your husband seems to have been exposed to regulated hazardous materials in 1994, the statute of limitations on his claims could have expired. I guess the best advice is to consult a lawyer who specializes in toxic exposure in order to inquire of your husband's legal rights, if any still exist. Beware when you select an attorney that he/she specializes in this field, as the regulations as well as the science are ever-changing and complex. You should shy away from regular personal injury attorneys who generally do not have the in-depth knowledge of the statutes, regulations and the science applicable to environmental exposure cases. I wish you good luck. In the event that your husband needs medical care, I highly recommend Dr. Grace Ziem in Maryland or Dr. Robban Sica in Connecticut. They specialize in successfully treating chemical injuries such as your husband's.
Best wishes,Jacques G. Simon
SIMON & CHANG - new york, New York usa
Did your husband work for the postal service? My co workers are ill from a flooring product. It was a mixture of benzene, methyl methacrylate, benzoyl peroxide and diacetone alcohol xylene.Mary Klein
- N St Paul, Minnesota, USA