-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Bending Chrome Plated Steel Tubing

Q. Shipping for the chrome plated bent tubing is expensive. I would like to bring it in and bend it in house, but I need the plating to remain decorative. Is this possible?

Robin Wong
Project Leader - Chicago, Illinois, USA

A. Hi Robin.

I don't think this is a good path to pursue. Although plating which has good adhesion will not easily separate from the substate, and a small amount of deformation in incidental metal working is probably okay, this is a questionable route for any plating but most especially for a barrier layer anodic plating like nickel-chrome. If you induce any porosity, the steel will rust wildly in an attempt to cathodically protect the plating.

Now you've made me wonder whether my ludicrously rust-prone chrome bicycle fenders were plated before forming :-)

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search