Rusted powder coated pole repainting?

Hi I am a homeowner in central NJ. About 8 years ago we had a basketball goal installed nexst to the driveway. The pole was green and powder coated. Over the years the coating has peeled away in places and the pole is rusted. The installer had filled the pole with concrete to give it extra stability which I think helped cause this problem. My question is do I need to strip all the paint of the pole and what type on coating should I use to recover it?

JT Smith

Jerome Smith
homeowner - Skillman, New Jersey, USA
contact

Hi, Jerome. Your neighbors appreciate the pole being filled so they don't have to put up with the thwonging ringing of a hollow pipe. Steel is impervious to the concrete, and only if the installer spilled some on the outside could it affect the paint. Don't remove well adhering paint. Apply rust converter to the balance, they paint it with any paint made for outdoor metal like Krylon or Rustoleum. Good luck.