-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Staining galvanized metal

I am trying to stain a clip that is being applied to a composite material. The clip is currently being primed and painted black. I was wondering if there was a faster process where the clip could be dropped into a stain or some other material that would stain the part instead of a full paint coat. I just need to get rid of the shiny galvanized look. A light stain finish would be fine. Black is the current color of the clip.

Loren Hill
manufacturer - Houston, Texas

November , 2010

Hi, Loren.

There are black patina formulations made for zinc, and used by hobbyists on zinc cameing and solder on stained glass windows. I'm not sure how they would look and perform on galvanized surfaces but they would be easy to try.

Ted Mooney,

Novacan Black Patina for Zinc

Q. I am looking to stain or "treat" lots of galvanized pipe. Any ideas?

Jean Lewis
- Buena Vista, Colorado

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search