The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Masking material / method for electroless nickel plating

.

I have several problems to mask areas that I don't want to plate. I would be very appreciative if someone can suggest me what kind of paint can I use to protect the areas not to be plated
thanks very much

Emmanuel Schonwald
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
outdated

.

Hi Emmanuel

I don't call what you are looking for 'paint'; I'd call it a maskant for electroless nickel. You can use high-temperature "plater's tape", or teflon tape if the part is suitable, or elastomer plugs or caps, or a brush-on or spray-on plastisol-type masking aid. There are several manufacturers of specialized masking materials (hopefully our advertisers will respond to you in private).

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

----
Readers: Please see our "Looking for a Finishing Service" and "Looking for Products & Services for Our Finishing Shop" pages for active RFQs.
Our advertisers make this site possible for technical information exchange & camaraderie, and they will contact the inquirers privately regarding their commercial needs.