-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Convert weight percentage (EDX) into ppm

Q. A SEM/EDX analysis on Aluminium bond pad (AlCu0.5%) detected 2% weight percentage of Chlorine, besides common elements Al, C, O & Ti. May I know how to convert this Chlorine weight percentage into ppm ?

Liew CS
Employee - Malaysia

First of three simultaneous responses -- February 25, 2009

A. 2% would be 20,000 ppm

Terry Tomt
- Auburn, Washington

EDX = Energy-dispersive X-ray
SEM = Scanning electron microscopy ppm = parts per million

Second of three simultaneous responses -- February 25, 2009

A. The easy answer is .0001% = 1 ppm.

Kurt Sammons
- Inman, South Carolina

Third of three simultaneous responses -- February 25, 2009

A. 2% is 2 parts per hundred, so I would guess that you need to multiply that by 10,000 to get parts per million.
PS, I rather doubt that number unless it has salt on the surface or had a chlorinated plastic residue.

A. Remember that EDX is an analysis of the surface only and may not represent the overall composition of the target.
The conversion appears simple but I would be very careful what conclusions I reached from the figures.

Q. I have been analysing bark samples for chlorine content and have been able to achieve chlorine as a weight percentage. Does anyone know how to convert from weight percentage to ppm?

Denis Delaney
- Wexford, Ireland

A. Hi, Denis. The previous answers seemed to explain it, but I guess it wasn't as clear as I thought. 'ppm' is parts per million by weight. 1 percent by weight would be 10,000 ppm.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

Q. A SEM/EDX analysis on Mold compound (SiO2 -80%) detected 0.33% weight percentage of Bromine, besides common elements Mg,Si, Zn, C , O.

May I know how to convert this Bromine weight percentage into ppm?

Hiew Mei Fen
student - Malaysia

A. Hi, Hiew. As mentioned, the meaning of "ppm" is simply "parts per million by weight". You have 3.3 parts per thousand by weight, which would be 3300 ppm. I am having a hard time understanding why you would ask this question in light of the previous question that was rather clearly answered four times :-)

But please read Geoff Smith's caution.

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

Q. I am working on SEM/EDX my chlorine reading in coal is 0.61 wt.%
What will be equivalent in ppm?

Dr. Imdad Siddiqui
- Jamshoro-Sindh, Pakistan

A. Hi Dr. Siddiqui. 0.61 wt.% is 6100 ppm. The question you are asking has been answered so many times on this page that we are apparently not communicating the actual question.
I suspect that the issue may relate to the idiosyncrasies of English, rather than the simple math: "%" is the same thing as "percentage", "wt." is the same as "weight", and "weight %" is the same thing as "% by weight". Best of luck.

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search