The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Can I melt silverplate and skim the silver from the top of the kiln?

If you were to melt down a say a plate,spoon or any piece of Sterling Silver or an item that was silver plated( SS OR Fine) say in a kiln could you do that? and would the fine silver rise to the top? Sometimes you see item that are silver and I do not want to do anything with. Melting down might give me new opportunites.

Bob Kuningtong
student - Phoenix, Arizona

The answers to your questions are NO and NO. I wish it were so easy. Actually, there is no profitable way of stripping silver from the copper alloy base.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri