What type of Nitric Acid dissolves silver?

Fifty years ago I watched my Dad etch sterling (925) and coin (90%) silver using Nitric Acid that he bought at the local drug store. He made an example of what this acid would do to me if I should ever get into it by dissolving a silver dime in it. Now that I have retired I have decided to try my hand at etching silver items. I bought a bottle of 96.9 pure Nitric Acid but it will not dissolve silver. So I bought a bottle of 99.5 white fuming nitric acid hoping this wrought do the job, it only turns silver coins black. What type of nitric acid would dissolve a silver coin and where can I find it,

Larry Morrill
hobbyist - Scott City, Missouri

Any concentration of nitric acid would dissolve silver. What you got most probably is not nitric acid.
Nitric acid max concentration is around 67%.
Good luck .

Cair Shishani
aircraft maintenance - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

Nitric acid is one of those unusual acids where stronger is not better. It becomes an oxidizer rather than a stripper. Try a 50-50 mixture with distilled water.

I'm using 70% Nitric Acid to dissolve Silver (and copper) out of CPU's before further refining. Dropping the silver out of concentration with table salt. It works best when left for 48 hours (although the reaction can be quite violent at first). However, my question is: Can I reduce the concentration of Nitric acid used to dissolve the copper/ silver as it would reduce overheads on the extraction process. I'm currently shredding the finds to increase the overall density (reduce void spaces), so that I can reduce the volume of Nitric acid that I have to use.

Richard Johnson
- Cambridge, England