Restoring the dark brown finish to copper sinks

Q. I ruined two bathroom sinks spraying them with Lime-A-Wayamazoninfo. We have high lime deposits in our water and I have soaked our shower head several times which makes the spray much better. I didn't even think when I sprayed the drain of my pretty dark copper sinks and immediately they were spotted and streaked with bright copper finish now. The shower head must be coated bronze because the solution didn't affect it. We don't have a gas torch and I'm very nervous about trying to restore the finish myself. What do you suggest? Lou in Texas

Lou Freeman
Homeowner - Colleyville, Texas

A. Hi, Lou. Patina finishes can benefit from an artistic touch, so I don't know about your ability to satisfy yourself on this, but Brass Darkening Solution [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] is available for patina restoration situations like this.

Our company makes a copper patina repair kit just for owners of copper sinks like yourself. Our kit is a very simple and quick repair of patina damage for DIY. Please call for more info. You can see a demonstration of our kit at work on You Tube, keyword copper patina repair. Thanks

Barry Feinman
Restore It Yourself, Inc

Carlsbad, California

February 19, 2012appended

Q. I have a lightened spot in my bronze sink and would like to know how to darken it back to match rest of sink interior

ALBERT RAIA
- BATON ROUGE, Louisiana

Q. I bought a house with a copper sink in which the patina is completely gone from years of heavy cleansers. It has a hammered finish and the raised portions look ok and the indented hammered spots are a dark brown. The overall appearance is terrible. Am I able to grind away the dark spots and then keep it waxed for a more uniform look?

Dan Copsey
- Thousand Oaks, California, USA

Help I ruined my antique metal bathroom sink

September 7, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q.
I used a metal cleaner on my antique bronze metal sink and it took out the color to a brassy streak. This is not an expensive vanity sink and so I don't know the type metal it is. Please help me restore it to a uniform color. Thanks

Cindy Leamy
- Raleigh, North Carolina, USA