The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Reverse electroplating using salt water

adv.   Metalx nickel stripper

I understand it is possible to reverse plate using Salt water. Does anyone here understand the process. Would I use a stainless steel negative cathode..?

Shawn Hasting
hobbyist - Grove City, MN, USA

August , 2008

Hi, Shawn. I'm sure it's clear in your mind what you want to do, but people cannot help you when we don't know what you are talking about. Are you trying to restore an artifact by the electrochemical process of reversing the corrosion? If so, what's it made of? Are you trying to strip some kind of metal plating off of some kind of metal substrate? If so, what is the plating and what is the substrate.

I am not about to say that it is impossible to strip any metal from any substrate this way, but the reason there are so many different types of chemical and electrochemical stripping solutions is because something simple like saltwater doesn't work.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature