-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

How to melt ore particles of gold with chemicals or acids but not by heating

Hai I am student and currently in a project of obtaining alloy of gold from its ore, I am using aqua regia here. I was told to melt the ore without heating it to 1064.18 dC. Can any one help me how to melt the ore to form in liquid state.

Thank You.

Rahil Ansari
Student - India

Hi, Rahil. This sounds like project for a Philosophy of Language course rather than a science course :-)

In science, 'melt' means for a substance to go from solid state to liquid state due to increase in temperature. In Philosophy of Language we talk about phrases like sugar melting (dissolving) into water :-)

Are you trying to get the solid substance to melt into liquid with no application of heat, or are you trying to dissolve the substance into a solvent?

Ted Mooney,

Do a search on the internet for the Thermite Process. It is an old technique used to weld metals together before oxy-acetylene had been invented. The technique is dangerous to carry out, so I will not give details here - if anyone wants to use it, they should do so with great care. By the way - it has been used to extract manganese from its oxides, but NEVER use manganese dioxide - it explodes, as I found out to my dismay!

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search