Refinishing / painting a toilet

The home I bought has a blue, wall mounted toilet in one of the bathrooms. It just looks horrid and I am eager to change it. After looking for a plain white replacement I have determined that a replacement will just be too costly, to either buy a new wall mounted, or to re-plumb for a floor mounted one. What is the best way to "paint" the toilet white? Is this realistic? Thanks in advance!

Jessica Kromer
hungry for information - Santa Maria, California, USA

Hi, Jessica. AskTheBuilder says it's easily done with glossy oil-based paints and no preparation except for washing (you might want to take my word on what it says, because you'll want throw a brick through your monitor the third time that site floats an ad on top of the text you are trying to read and you have to chase it around the screen trying to catch the 'close box' to continue reading).

I find it very hard to believe it will work, but I've never tried it. So if you do it let us know please.

Painting porcelain is a pain. You're basically painting glass. The blue color is due to the glaze that was used during the production of the toilet.

There are a number of building material recovery co-ops all over the country. They may have a replacement available for you, closer to your price range.

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Melbourne, Florida

September 27, 2011appended

Hi. I rented out my house and the used an abrasive scrubber in the toilet. Where they used that scrubber there isn't even any more paint. It's gray and it makes my toilet always look dirty. What can I use to paint my toilet again. My toilet isn't white, it's a tan color. Please I need help fast as I am hosting a party in a few weeks and don't want people thinking my toilet is dirty when its clean.

Martine Haines
hobbyist - Moncton NB Canada